The Department of Health has today published 'Healthy Child, Healthy Future - Health Review Statistics for Northern Ireland 2022/23'.
This annual publication details the coverage and timeliness of preschool health contacts. It reports on the Healthy Child, Healthy Future framework which sets out a programme of child health contacts that every family in Northern Ireland can expect.
Key Facts and Figures:
- "Healthy Child, Healthy Future - Health Review Statistics for Northern Ireland 2022/23" is an annual publication that details the coverage and timeliness of pre-school health reviews. It reports on the Healthy Child, Healthy Future framework which sets out a programme of child health contacts that every family in Northern Ireland can expect.
- This publication includes coverage and timing of six pre-school health reviews; the New Baby Review (10-14 days after birth); 6-8 Week Review; 14-16 Week Review; 6-9 Month Contact; Health Review 1 Year; and the 2 - 2 Year Health Review.
- During 2022/23, Health Visitors were expected to carry out 127,164 contacts to cover these six review types for children across Northern Ireland. Some 89% of the reviews were completed; 81% within the recommended timeframe and a further 8% were completed outside the recommended timeframe. Some 10% of the reviews did not take place.
- The publication does not capture information on why reviews were completed outside of the recommended timeframe or had not taken place, however, where issues are known these will be set out in the publication.
- The figures presented in this bulletin are derived from Child Health System extractions provided by each of HSC Trusts.