The Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) has today released headline results from the 2020 Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry (ABI) Local Unit (LU) survey.
Full detailed results are available in the Northern Ireland Annual Business Inquiry Local Unit Statistics Bulletin and downloadable tables which are available at the Annual Business Inquiry page of the NISRA website.
The main results were:
- In 2020, the income generated by non-financial businesses in Northern Ireland (NI), less the cost of goods and services used to create this income, was estimated to be Pound 26.3 billion. This amount, which was Pound 40 million (0.2%) higher than in 2019, represents the approximate Gross Value Added (aGVA) at basic prices of the NI non-financial business economy.
- The key driver of aGVA growth was the Production sector (that includes Mining and quarrying; Manufacturing; Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply; and Water supply, sewerage, waste management and remediation activities) which increased by Pound 0.8 billion (12.9%) between 2019 and 2020. The majority of aGVA growth in this sector is attributable to the Energy generation and supply section which increased by Pound 334 million (48.4%).
- Wholesale and retail trade within the Distribution sector recorded aGVA growth of Pound 68 million (1.1%). The Construction sector recorded a decrease in aGVA of Pound 435 million (14.3%).
- The NI non-financial Services sector saw a decrease in aGVA, decreasing by Pound 402million (3.8%) from Pound 10.5 billion to Pound 10.1 billion. This was despite a significant increase in aGVA in the Real estate activities section which saw an increase of Pound 338 million (46.0%).
- Turnover (i.e. the value of total sales and work done) in the NI non-financial business economy as a whole decreased by Pound 5.5 billion (7.5%) from Pound 73.0 billion to Pound 67.5 billion in 2020. Purchases of goods, materials, energy, water and services also decreased, dropping by Pound 3.8 billion (8.0%) from Pound 47.5 billion in 2019 to Pound 43.7 billion in 2020.
- Further information on the industrial composition of the Pound 26.3 billion aGVA for 2020 can be found at the Annual Business Inquiry page on the NISRA website.